Kickin' It Old School


I'm proud to announce that Jean Lukitsh, who has been laying down the fundamentals of Hong Kong martial arts cinema in her Electric Shadows blog over at Kungfucinema.com, is now mistress of her own domain, electricshadows.com, where she will be showing off her collection of early kung fu movie advertising fliers, starting with some wonderful fliers from the 1950s Wong Fei Hung series.

In honor of her new website, I'm posting this cover from the movie brochure for The Heroine with Invincible Legs (1952), starring Yam Yin. (I love those special trousers highlighting her powerful right leg!)

If it weren't for Jean's research about Yam Yin's father, martial arts movie pioneer Yam Yu-tin, I wouldn't have known anything about Ms. Yam beyond her filmography. I'd love to see more of her films. Besides The Story of Wong Ang the Heroine (1960), which Jean mentioned in her post, I'm also dying to watch another crime film that she made with Yu So Chow: The Breakthrough (1961). Finally, I would be remiss if I failed to mention that Yam Yin also starred in several movies with 60s superstar Connie Chan, including The Swords of Tien Shan (1961), The Snowflake Sword (1964), and The Six-fingered Lord of the Lute (1965), all of which are available on VCD and highly recommended as well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...