Chung Ching: Goddess of the Silver Screen


I'm not sure when I became a devotee of Chung Ching (Zhong Qing), but she is now, along with Bai Guang, one of my favorite Hong Kong movie actresses whose movies I am tragically unable to see. She does appear very briefly in the MP&GI huangmei opera The Magic Lamp (1964), which is available on DVD, but if you want to see one of the many musicals that made her a star in the mid to late 1950s, you'll need to buck down for a flight to Hong Kong and visit the HKFA.

So imagine my absolute delight when I flipped through the pages of an October 1954 issue of The Young Companion that I recently bought because it featured on its cover a very young Lin Dai (long before she became Shaw Brothers' reigning movie queen) and was surprised instead by this deliciously literal depiction of Chung Ching as goddess!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...