Dolly Soo Fung: Guns Are for Girls


Here's a pleasant little surprise from Screenland No. 24 (September 1961) featuring MP&GI's resident wallflower, Dolly Soo Fung. She may have been overshadowed by the studio's high-powered stars, but I've always been charmed by her gentle awkwardness and superb smile. A scan of the original article is available here.

Dolly Soo Fung Tries a Gun

The little cousin of Dolly Soo Fung had bought a toy pistol which shot plastic darts. Dolly wanted very much to try a few shots but cousin did not trust her at that. Dolly might ruin his pistol, and besides, Dolly was a girl and guns are not for girls. So Dolly had to try something to convince him.

"You say that guns are not for girls?" She said as she snatched the pistol, "Just let me show you how good I am with it." She snapped a shot and the dart stuck right on the nose of the doll on top of the refrigerator, which made little cousin's jaw drop in sheer admiration.

Her second shot found its mark on another doll.

"Gee, but you got to teach me that!" spluttered little cousin, real excited.

"Sure," Dolly agreed, "provided that you buy me some ice cream." So Dolly had ice cream and the pistol.

When I asked her where did she learn to shoot so good, she confessed, "I never learned. It was just luck."


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...