The Lady Who Sells Her Shadow



After reading about my interest in Liu Qi, the "Marilyn Monroe of China", fellow retro blogger Dev Yang sent me the above cover and following article — which he kindly translated — from the Kong Ngee Movie Pictorial (May 1954). It's a fun and fascinating look at an apparently superb actress who's been practically forgotten nowadays.

Liu Qi—The Lady Who Sells Her Shadow
by Xiao Han


I first met Liu Qi in Shanghai. She had just left Chungking and was living with her girlfriend on the fourth floor of the luxurious Paramount Hotel. It was the hotel’s largest suite and comprised several rooms. At the time, I was close to her roommate. Although I had barely made her acquaintance, I was struck by her unique beauty: not very pretty but charming and sexy.

Her roommate once told me, “Back in Chungking, Liu Qi was a notable figure, not only because of her reputation as a stage actress but also for her people skills. But don’t think that she is the kind of socialite who sells her body for money. She’s not like those social butterflies in Shanghai.”

I watched Liu Qi’s screen debut in Shanghai, The Man Who Sells His Shadow (1948), and found both her appearance and acting quite appealing. “Quite appealing” was my pet phrase for her, because I truly believed that she had a bright future in the film industry, especially since there were a lot of mediocre actresses at the time, and she was clearly a cut above them all. However, her girlfriend once told me, “Liu Qi will not remain in the film industry forever. She has a great, beautiful dream she wants to pursue.” I was keen to know more about this dream, but my friend said it was a secret. And because I wasn’t so close to Liu Qi, I decided it would be impolite to “interrogate” my friend further.

I met Liu Qi again after I emigrated to Hong Kong. Both of us were surprised by that feeling of “old friends meeting abroad”. (To avoid any unwanted speculation, I should clarify that it was probably only myself who felt this way.) Since then we’ve had more opportunities to get to know each other. I still fondly remember the time we met on New Year’s Day in 1951 at a party thrown by the Hong Kong Actors Guild at the Nanyang Studio. I danced with her several times and asked her about herself. I adored her witty replies, one of which was: “I guess I’m finally ready to sell my shadow”. I was confused at first, but then I understood her meaning: she was ready to commit herself wholeheartedly to the Eighth Art. Indeed, don’t all actors and actresses sell their shadows?

Since resuming her career in Hong Kong, Liu Qi has played mostly supporting roles, despite the fact that she is an experienced and versatile actress. She was remarkable in several of her movies and often stole the limelight from the leading players. As a result, it’s been rumored that some of the top actresses are jealous of Liu Qi and pray that they won’t have to appear in same film with her. Unfortunately, most Hong Kong directors are only concerned with the leading lady and willingly change the script at her behest, which leaves little room for Liu Qi to demonstrate her chops. Such discrimination isn’t fair, and many people feel sorry for her. When she’s asked why, with her beauty and ability, she still hasn’t gotten the chance to become a lead actress, Liu Qi just replies with a smile. Actually, I think this situation is due to the narrow-minded belief of the industry that the “experienced and mature” type will always be the “experienced and mature” type. But thankfully producer Fung Ming-yuen recognized Liu Qi’s qualities and talent and cast her as the leading lady in his latest project, Night Homecoming, based on Cao Yu’s play "The Wilderness".

Yan Jun, currently the top actor in Hong Kong, agreed to costar with Liu Qi in this project. (Their first film together was in fact The Man Who Sells His Shadow, which was also Yan Jun’s own breakthrough as a leading man). Although I know for a fact that Liu Qi personally asked him to join the production, Yan Jun didn’t do it only as a favor. “Liu Qi is a great actress. She shouldn't be undervalued or ignored. She’s just as good as those ‘leading ladies’ out there and ought to be given more opportunities before she becomes a casualty of the star system. Liu Qi is an old friend from my Shanghai days, and it’s my duty to help her out.”

Night Homecoming is now finished, and Liu Qi's performance is extraordinary. Critically acclaimed, it’s her best since she started “selling her shadow”. Thanks to the film, Liu Qi has been recruited as the leading lady of the newly established Asia Pictures and will soon appear in two upcoming features, The Heroine and Tradition. Her future is now looking very bright indeed.

Compared to the leading ladies of other studios, Liu Qi is taller and more statuesque—and weighing in at 132 pounds, the heaviest among them. But thanks to her even proportions and exquisite curves, she looks balanced and refined, especially on the silver screen. Currently, she is undergoing an intensive exercise regimen to bring down her weight and is aiming for 125 pounds by the end of March.

Among her colleagues, Liu Qi is known as “Sister Hussy” because she is outspoken and likes to tell dirty jokes. But at work or on formal occasions, she is always gracious and well mannered. Liu Qi also loves dancing and playing mahjong. These are her only two hobbies. She holds a record for 60 consecutive rounds of mahjong. And when it comes to dancing, she has been described as “The Rival without Equal among All Men”. Once she went to the Happy Palace Club with thirteen men and danced with them nonstop for two hours. She laughed and said, “I played ‘One Woman and Thirteen Men’. What’s the big deal?”

Now, isn’t she witty?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...