China Forever: New Book about the Shaw Brothers


I'm currently making my way through China Forever, a newly published collection of academic essays about the Shaw Brothers. It's the usual mixed bag of the fascinating and the unreadable. I must say that I'm a little mystified as to why the book's editor Poshek Fu acknowledges the Hong Kong Film Archive's pioneering The Shaw Screen: A Preliminary Study as one of "two important Chinese-language anthologies on the Shaw Brothers" yet fails to mention that there is also an English-language edition that was concurrently published. I guess that would contradict his claim that China Forever is "the first critical study in English to explore and assess the social history and cultural apparatus of the Shaw Brothers Studio." Oh well...

Anyway, there's some great stuff in the book, and I'll be riffing on some of my favorite articles in the next few weeks.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...