How Sweet It Is: Lam Fung Eating a Durian


I've been meaning to post this for a while, so when Dev recently asked me if I had any materials related to Patricia Lam Fung's film When Durians Bloom (1959), that was all the encouragement I needed! If you've been following this blog, you know that I'm a big fan of Lam Fung, in spite of having seen only two of her films, and none of her Shaw Brothers films, which are regarded as her best. You might also gather from my nickname and avatar, that I am a lover of the notoriously fragrant "King of Fruits". Well, it goes without saying that my life will be incomplete until I see When Durians Bloom. As far as I know, it is one of only two Chinese films to feature durian in its title. The other is Durian, Durian (2000), a great film by one of my favorite directors, Fruit Chan. Anyway, how can I not like this film?! And more importantly, how can I see it?! Does it still survive?

Here is an article about When Durians Bloom from the August 1959 issue of Southern Screen. It's in Chinese only, but maybe Dev can report back on the highlights...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...