Wilson Shieh: Maggie Cheung's Fitting Room



Here's another cool thing that I missed during my recent trip to Hong Kong: these wonderful drawings by Wilson Shieh, one of my favorite contemporary artists, which may have been shown at Osage Gallery in an exhibition of his latest work that ended just three days before my arrival.

I can't remember how I discovered Wilson Shieh, but ever since, I've been a big fan of his witty and whimsical work. Earlier this year in March he had an exhibit at Osage entitled Chow Yun Fat's Fitting Room, which playfully deconstructed the actor's star image.

In the two pieces above, he's applied the same sort of treatment to Maggie Cheung. What I like about Wilson Shieh's art is that it can hold as much or as little meaning as you want. You can ponder the calculated manufacturing of the star system or take simple delight in the paper doll-inspired depictions. The irony of Wilson's work is always gentle, tempered by a genuine affection for his subjects.

Further Viewing

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...