Supremely Real


The following is a portion of Rory Gilmore's graduation speech (remember when she graduated valedictorian from Chilton?). I think about the ideas she presents here quite often and have finally written it down. What she says couldn't be more true. I might have to substitute a few names and places here and there, but the overall idea is one I can wholly identify with.


"I live in two worlds. One is a world of books. I've been a resident of Faulkner's Yoknapatawpha County, hunted the white whale aboard the Pequod, fought alongside Napoleon, sailed a raft with Huck and Jim, committed absurdities with Ignatius J. Reilly, rode a sad train with Anna Karenina, and strolled down Swann's Way. It's a rewarding world, but my second one is by far superior. My second one is populated with characters slightly less eccentric but supremely real, made of flesh and bone, full of love, who are my ultimate inspiration for everything."

 Perhaps mine would go something like...

I've sang a sad song with Sally, joined the Fellowship with Frodo, guzzled coffee with the Gilmore girls, flown on Howl's Moving Castle, cried with Sarah in an empty church, and sat on a cloudy beach with Esther Greenwood....

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...