The Sandman, The Brakeman and Me


The Brakeman is letting off some steam,
This has to be the slowest train that I have ever seen
and the Sandman's waiting to deliver me my dream,
Guess I'll lay my head against my elbow and the window

Watch the wheels go,
Watch the wheels go,

Finally. It felt like fall tonight. Did you feel it? Ah, I love that feeling of crisp air when you first step out of your warm car and it's like--yikes! get me back in there!--yeah that cool, biting air is so special to me...it's just the greatest! It brings back so many fond memories and sentiments--Christmas spices, carols, rustling leaves, Grandad Gus, scarves for days, Starbucks hot chocolate, wet asphalt, my family, driving around looking at lights, the Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack, bundling up in England.Berlin.Prague.Wherever. as to not catch my death, and choosing to stay in by the fire.

After a day of coffee, wall time and friends, I took Shane to the train station, and snuggled with him on a slippery, wooden bench, whispering sweet things in his ear. Saying goodbye (or farewell) is always rough. But tonight, it was like a movie. The last call for passengers bellowed on the speakerphone and Shane hurried toward the sliding doors. A few final kisses and he was on the train. I stood, static and transfixed, watching his silhouette in the window. The train started up and he motioned that he loved me with a few simple gestures. I waved and waved, and the train moved away from me. Tears flowed, but only for a little bit. I know this is cheesy but, I love this man.


Roll on, Roll on oh little train
Brakeman blow your whistle, throw your weight upon the chain
Make way, for whatever will be, will be
Between the Sandman, the Brakeman, and me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...