One World under a Groove: Help Keep 60s Malaysian Pop Alive


I have a soft spot for working artists and independent scholars, so when I read about Carl Hamm's project to document the "Pop Yeh-Yeh" movement of 1960s Malaysia, I couldn't help but open my heart (and wallet) to his labor of love. In a nutshell, Carl is raising money for a trip to Malaysia to interview the Malaysian pop stars of yesteryear and obtain permission to publish their songs in a CD compilation. You can learn more about this worthwhile venture in the video below and at his Kickstarter page, where you can pledge your support of as little as 5 bucks and as much as 100 dollars (or more).

I don't know Carl personally, but I'm impressed with his sincerity and determination — and most of all, his evident love and respect for this music and the artists who made it. All investment is a risk, but this project is one that I feel good about supporting. If you like the music in the video below and want to hear more, then consider making a donation to Carl Hamm's Pop Yeh Yeh Research Trip.

But do it soon: there are just three more days for Carl to reach his all-or-nothing goal!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...