Mise en Oeuvre


For the past couple days I have been furiously writing for hours in a long-forgotten notebook that I found in the backseat of my car.

Here's a little something I wrote earlier today that I found particularly silly:

Leaves fall
Into an empty convertible.
Oh wait,
I made that up.
But they did fall near it.

Now you may think, hmm, that's not even that funny or particularly clever. Well, whatever. I don't really care, because I am learning to write for the sake of writing. Hopefully in some of the pages upon pages that I've written (and plan to write) I will find something worth coming back to and developing.

On that note, I came across an important passage about writing shitty pieces in order to find something worth saying:

'If you don't believe in God, it may help to remember this great line of Geneen Roth's: that awareness is learning to keep yourself company. And then learn to be more compassionate company, as if you were somebody you are fond of and wish to encourage. I doubt that you would read a close friend's early efforts and, in his or her presence, roll your eyes and snicker. I doubt that you would pantomime sticking your finger down your throat. I think you might say something along the lines of, "Good for you. We can work out some of the problems later, but for now, full steam ahead!"'

I think it's awfully important for me, and for anyone who is trying to figure out things through writing, to remember to be gracious. Most of the things I've written today cannot and will not be shared with anyone. When you're writing without restraint some terrible, terrible things have the tendency to emerge. Thoughts that you've pushed down so far that you've forgotten you ever had them. Gross inadequacies, failed attempts at love, the time you talked shit on your best friend because, well, you just did... Even though my thoughts are scattered and incoherent, I know that a few of my messy recollections will later capture my attention and hopefully inspire something worth reading.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...